November 10, 2011

The Birkin: available at your nearest market

How long has it been? Almost a month!... I do my best, really! But school and work, don’t leave me with a lot of free time to blog, you know. Anyways, I was at a photoshoot of the magazine I’m working for (comes out December, I’ll post some editorials!), and, among the garnments we were lent to use in the shoot, there was the Birkin, in a terracota hue, in all its glory. Oh how perfect it is! And how well it goes with everything!
Well, I was talking about it with my friend, Carla, and she told me the story of the original Birkin bag. You won’t believe it!
You know the bag people pay thousands of dollars for, and wait for years to possess? Well, Jane Birkin actually wore a basket. That’s right a knitted, regular, basket.





Tells the story that once in a flight, while trying to put her Birkin basket in an overhead compartment, she spilled all her things unto the floor. The Hermès CEO at the time happened to witness this and asked her about her very peculiar choice of bag. She said she hadn’t found a weekend bag she really liked. He created the Hermès Birkin for her but, after wearing it for a while; she went back to her basket. And that’s that. So now you know, you can carry a basket around and, when people ask, just say: It’s my Birkin, you ignorant!



1 comment:

  1. i have a friend, whose mom have the himalayan birkin, and i am sooo jealous!!! :'(



    i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

    and of course i will folback!:D also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^ ,please list me on twitter, so i will know u're my follower!! ;)

    i've just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that's what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^
    (u can add me on facebook and contact me at : cheeringwinda@yahoo.com)

    ReplyDelete